- 6 small firm pears, peeled
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Ground cinnamon and icing sugar, for dusting
For the ricotta cake
- 6 eggs
- 165g caster sugar
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 180g ground almonds
- 35g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (180°C non-fan). Place the pears, sugar, cinnamon sticks and 1 litre water in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until the pears start to soften. Remove the pears from the pan and set aside to cool.
- To make the ricotta cake, whisk together the eggs and sugar until combined. Add the ricotta and fold through. Add the almonds, cornflour, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 24cm round springform cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Arrange the pears over the mixture, nestling them in slightly to secure.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool slightly in the tin.
- Remove the cake from the tin and place on a cake stand or plate. Dust with cinnamon and icing sugar to serve.
This cake is delicious served either warm or cold.